On friday at my OB appt no heartbeat could be found and my uterus measured small for 17 weeks (nearly 4 months and I was hardly showing when I usually pop out pretty quick). An ultrasound was scheduled for today, and we could see the baby curled up there. His head measured to a date of 14/15 weeks, but it also confirmed there was no heartbeat. So, we're sad to say baby M-P has passed away. My husband told me he has thought of him as "David" since the beginning so that's what we are calling him.
Our Doctor felt we should take some action on this since the baby has most likely been deceased for a couple weeks already. At first he seemed to think having a D&C would be our only option, which I was not very happy about at all. He decided to send us to see a Doctor he admits doesn't have the best bedside manner but is still a very competent OBGYN.
I got an appt for this afternoon and thought I was being sent for a D&C immediately, but instead he only wanted to check me and talk about options. His opinion is that the size of baby David (he felt 15 weeks) and the uterus would make a D&C too risky/tricky. He suggested if we really insisted on a D&C we'd have to go (yes) to the abortion clinic!!! where as he said "the guy is experienced - he does these every day." I couldn't even answer that, just stared at him, especially considering we were just at the pro-life march yesterday. How ironic!
Anyway ... he said we could "wait and see" or we could induce labor and deliver the baby. That was what I had been hoping for after all (thank you, Lord) and so in a few days I'll be going for that. He said he would have done it tomorrow except that he has an engagement in the evening and would really like to be available in case there are any complications. I also appreciate that.
I won't be sedated and I'm not sure if we'll get to see him or not. I suppose that and other things will be decided that day. Thank you, THANK YOU! for your prayers. God's will be done in everything. And hopefully one day we'll meet these unknown babies in heaven.
So that is my update. I can keep tiny David with me just a little longer.
One last thing - I've been having terrible back pain for a week now. No one seems to know for sure if it's related to what's happening with the baby or not. I've been to one chiropractor without much effect but am going to try another tomorrow in a last ditch effort to get right before they start stimulating all those muscles. Say a prayer it can be put right beforehand so all will work together smoothly.
The kids were sad but accepting. However, please pray for me as I go in for the procedure and for my husband and the kids as well. (Also the doctor - couldn't hurt.)
P.S. I'm happy to talk to anyone who has experienced a miscarriage (as far as if someone should read this and want to talk).
By A Catholic Like You
Editors Note: If you wish to send a personal note to the author, please send us an email and we will forward your response directly, otherwise I am sure she and her family will be grateful to read your encouragement and prayers in the comments here.
No comments:
Post a Comment