18+ Only!!!

<< Done with grocery shopping, I was on the way back home with my three kids, when suddenly a young woman in a convertible ahead of us stood up and started waving frantically to get our attention. She must have been drunk; she was stark naked!

I quickly thought of my children. “How would I distract them?” But alas, I was too late. My heart fell as I heard my 8 year old boy exclaim and point: “Mommy, look at that lady. That’s bad, she shouldn't do that. ... She’s not wearing a seat-belt!” >>


I read this joke in the Reader’s Digest when I was just a kid myself.

In Germany the rules are the rules, however the motivation is written on every crosswalk: “Be an example to our children.” No one ever jaywalks; you cross by the crosswalk when the light is green. It’s true, although an adult could possibly cross when the light was red—since he could make a good judgement call as to whether or not it would be safe despite oncoming traffic—for kids it would always be dangerous. 

Did you notice? 

Above are two seemingly opposing examples. Kids are vulnerable—we agree; but look back at the first. Mom was shocked and her child was not, that a woman would show off her nakedness to the world. 

I remember watching a film review for a movie I had seen as a kid, and unexpectedly realizing how offensively clad the main actress was. When I was younger I hadn't even noticed. And some try to tell me that it HAD affected me as a kid, and now that I was 18+ “NO PROB!” ??? 

What impressed me of my father was his ability to teach us by his example. It was never: “Son, this is how to pray.” No, rather it was: “Son, I am going to pray now, you can join me if you like.” And more than not, I “liked.” 

And on Sundays, watching the football game was a family thing. I can hear you already: “Yeah, that’s what they all say ‘family, family’ and then everyone sits around and watches the tube. How can you really, truly call that family time?” And I answer calmly: for our family it was. There was one thing that helped, my dad’s example. He NEVER WATCHED COMMERCIALS! It wasn't about the kids, it was about him and his conviction that ADS were not about to improve his IQ, nor his sanctity, nor were they about to help him get to heaven. And what’s more, when ZAPP went the TV, we all instantly started discussing the game—as a family. Bets were made, plays were argued, sandwiches were passed out, and beverages were re-filled. 

It honestly drives me nuts when I see these cute little books with “children’s prayers” in them; as if prayer were for babies, “don’t worry, kid, you’ll get over it.” 

In just the same way that it makes my heart bleed to hear moms and dads tell their children, not that porn (hard or soft) destroys your soul, but rather that “they are too young!” 

Example speaks louder than words!


No comments:

Post a Comment