Crossing the Kidron with Christ


We long to be legendary, don’t we? But what can I really do to change the world?


King Josiah pondered the same question. On a righteous rampage, he spurned the sins of his people, pulverized their idols and cast the dust “into the Kidron Valley” (2 Kings 23:12).

Looming in the atmosphere, the sins of every time and place coalesce into a billowing, black cloud and wait to fall like foul dregs into Christ’s cup (see Mt 26:39). On the eve of our salvation, when “Jesus went out with his disciples across the Kidron Valley” (Jn 18:1), how it would storm down on our Savior!

But our Lord is not alone. He brought me with him into the Kidron Valley. If I do not sleep, if I pray with him, if I keep watch with him through the night, I can lovingly offer my “little agonies” to the Father and become, like him, “a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God” (Rom 12:1). I can march courageously into the Kidron valleys that surround me, reject the evil there, and swallow it up in love. My trials count. My sacrifice matters. In Christ, my bitter cup becomes redemption for the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment