My cousin was a delightful woman with beautiful thick
red/auburn hair and a smile that delighted everyone.
She was a determined soul
who worked hard to achieve the things she wanted to accomplish—getting a horse,
playing in the high school marching band, moving to Arizona because of her
dreams of living there. It was SO much fun to be around her because there was
always laughter and jokes to be had.
Have you ever noticed how God has a way of using
circumstances to help you review and reassess your priorities? My cousin died
unexpectedly. As I was mentally processing the situation, I read a reflection
probing the idea of what happiness really is and I clearly saw my cousin’s life.
As a teenager, she was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease. Her
treatment required many rounds of chemo and surgeries. Many did not know that
she was as sick as she was for she continued to attend classes and work. My
cousin was constantly looking toward the future.
Although my cousin survived the cancer and treatment, her
life came with a price. Her first heart attack occurred at age 37, and 10 years
later she began being tired and breathless. Her doctors decided a new heart
valve was needed.
In 2011, she went into the hospital for the heart value replacement procedure. During the surgery, the doctors realized that they were doing more damage than good. My cousin’s heart was much more damaged by the radiation treatments than they realized, so they closed her up in order to try alternative therapy. She was given blood thinners to help in recovery. However, the medicines they gave her impeded the oxygen uptake in her other vital organs. She died 2 days after the surgery.
I have learned from my cousin that life is in great part
about my attitude. Do I live the life God has given me to the fullest? Do I
take every opportunity to experience, see and do what God has on this earth for
me? Do I make excuses because I am in pain or inconvenienced? Do I always focus
on the positive, even when I'm dealing with less than positive situations in my
life?
My cousin knew that life was short. She had brushed death closely as a teenager. Through her example she showed all around her that life is to be LIVED. Perhaps, that is why life around her was so vibrant.
I don't know that I have the answer to happiness in this
world. Lord willing, I can live up to the example my cousin offered me to
follow. My prayer is a hope that I can live as full a life that my cousin did
in the 47 years she had on this earth.
By Sara Blalock

No comments:
Post a Comment