Inside/Outside

NY Times writer Brian Stelter reminded us on 8 Feb that, despite the fact that younger Americans—I suppose that applies to kids worldwide too—are leaving TV for other media, TV continues to be “America’s No. 1 pastime, with an average of 4 hours and 39 minutes consumed by every person every day.”



(Taking into account that kids are on their way out, this applies mostly to adults.) But still, that makes for over 30 HOURS of tubing a week!



And, if they are like me, the remote control resembles any restaurant menu, with the exception of just maybe Friday in Lent (I say maybe … because I love fish too). Yeah, I’ve got this habit of choosing what I like … not what I don’t like. And so, restaurant managers and TV channels are constantly pumping out products which the average person—mind you, not the delicatessen or the spiritual mystic—is going to enjoy.



Result being: Self-love and focus on personal preferences are encouraged (an understatement, given the huge amount of time dedicated to things like TV and eating).




That’s our first difficulty in life—this ever growing self-love, totally encouraged by many things we see, hear, touch, and even taste & smell. Now let's look into 2 more difficulties which hit us casually, and then a few ideas, during Lent, which can help us to achieve spiritual balance and muscle.


Here’s number 2, which builds on the first. Take a look:



Belief, as Benjamin O’Loughlin also recently explained (here), is often based on what those around us are saying. And yet, not only do we love ourselves, but we tend to judge others and what they say based on our personal preferences! I believe my friends (the persons I “prefer”) and I doubt non-friends (those who “rub me wrong”).

Result being: We create an atmosphere of confidence where that which we hold as true, and that which we thus LIVE, are constantly supported and encouraged by those around us.



And number 3: St. Francis de Sales in his “Introduction to the Devout Life” applies the first difficulty to those who strive to live Lent well, by seeking out devotions “according to their tastes and inclinations.” Like the painter who “gives all his works the countenance of the woman he once loved.” Or sort of like the penitent who came back to speak with his spiritual guide after the first week of Lent with a simple complaint: “Father, I can’t seem to find a Lenten sacrifice that I FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH.”

Result being: (Always according to St. Francis) – one fasts, but is not willing to depart with bitterness towards others; one prays nicely to God, but uses angry words; one gives to “charities,” but cannot forgive…. That is, we pick and choose the “good works” which we would like to give to God, but we don’t change the heart.



But WAIT A MINUTE!!! (At least I would be asking myself, if I were reading this) … don’t I decide who I am precisely BY my actions?


Well, yes and no: There are number of things which determine who you are (among others): 1. Tendencies and preferences, as we saw above / 2. Friends and habits which constantly support your tendencies and preferences / and your 3. External Actions which most of us are working on assiduously during this season of Lent.

But there's one thing we haven't touched on: your FREEDOM. Precisely because your present actions are strongly influenced by your tendencies and habits—ruts in the road (at times deeply ingrown over time), in order to become a NEW YOU, you need to focus your change not only on a few external sacrificial actions, which could end up leaving the ruts un-re-paved, but on going deeper when you make your choices.

So a few ideas how to go deeper, and here’s where we end:


  1. Fill yourself with good food! Balance out those 4:39 a day with positive intake, not just what you LIKE.
  2. Hang out with people who are truly positive, not just your “friends,” either in person or via video, music, readings….
  3. When it comes to actions, first DECIDE who you should be, and base your actions on that (despite personal preferences).


Is this a good Lenten Plan? As good as the one you made last week? There’s still time to add a few tweaks to make it that much better. :) What do you think? We'd love to hear what's working for you....



No comments:

Post a Comment