A Stupid Question...


When a soul, like a Mr. Egg asks me: "How far can I go?"

How I would often LIKE to respond, but usually don't is: "That's really a stupid question!"

When you are dealing with temptation, the proper question is: "Where is the middle of the table?" Because God is there. The point of life is not to "get as CLOSE as possible to the edge of the table without falling off." Rather it's to be - and remain - united to God.

However the image is limited, because sin doesn't work like that. We don't live perfectly holy lives and then suddenly FALL off the edge into mortal sin.

So here's a better image. If your friend holds a glass of sweet tasting poison, she might ask the question:
"Can I put a drop in my water without dying?" The answer could be yes.
"What about two drops?" Again, you still might not die.
"Five?" Ummm, are you sure you wanna try that?
"How about 35 drops? It'll be super sweet!"

And if your own child, or your best friend asked you that? I think any one of us will probably give the answer from above, really. "That's a really stupid question! You don't drink poison!!!"

So, now, apply that to your life: Sex Scenes / Calumny / Hatred / Hurting words / Jealousy...

No, the man of God doesn't allow himself as many drops as possible without killing himself. Rather, he doesn't drink poison, period!

No comments:

Post a Comment