Rome is a city of puddles. Yesterday I was sloshing through them towards the bus stop, on my way home from the foot doctor's. Trying to keep my ingrown toenail out of the water, and trying not to think about where the water I already had in my shoes had come from.
I was still 200 yards from the bus stop when Bus 247 roared by. In a flash, I forgot about the intricacies of the Roman sewer system. I even forgot about my toe as I sprinted for the yellow bus stop, splashing over, under and through street-side puddles.
I didn't make it. The bus lumbered off into the night and left me in the rain, treading water in my own shoes as I waited for the next bus.
The Synod of Bishops is over, and reporters were quick to sum up the two-week meeting of Catholic bishops as a rehash of the same old story: Catholic leaders trying to respond to falling numbers and lapsed Catholics.
Yes, there are many lapsed Catholics. And yes, the Pope and the bishops aren't happy about it. However, many reporters have made the mistake of considering the synod's look at the "New Evangelization" as if it were just some corporation's response to falling sales.
That would be a mistake. The Church isn't about number games or power plays. It's about people.
Every day people are born, and people die. Nations change. The world changes. And the Church makes its rounds like a bus in the rain, offering a lift towards heaven and happiness.
The Church has already passed by countless times. Now our generation is up. We're waiting at the bus stop, and the New Evangelization is the Church coming back to make another run, a little faster as the bus drivers follow an updated route through new cities and streets.
I made it back home on the next bus. Now the Church is coming back for you.
Go here for details on the Church's new route.
The Synod of Bishops is over, and reporters were quick to sum up the two-week meeting of Catholic bishops as a rehash of the same old story: Catholic leaders trying to respond to falling numbers and lapsed Catholics.
Yes, there are many lapsed Catholics. And yes, the Pope and the bishops aren't happy about it. However, many reporters have made the mistake of considering the synod's look at the "New Evangelization" as if it were just some corporation's response to falling sales.
That would be a mistake. The Church isn't about number games or power plays. It's about people.
Every day people are born, and people die. Nations change. The world changes. And the Church makes its rounds like a bus in the rain, offering a lift towards heaven and happiness.
The Church has already passed by countless times. Now our generation is up. We're waiting at the bus stop, and the New Evangelization is the Church coming back to make another run, a little faster as the bus drivers follow an updated route through new cities and streets.
I made it back home on the next bus. Now the Church is coming back for you.
Go here for details on the Church's new route.

No comments:
Post a Comment