The Question only Friends Ask


It happened again today. I was talking with a good friend and we had already been exchanging the latest of our busy lives for a good 10 minutes. Then, as if part of a perfectly coordinated dance where both partners know the steps, she looked me in the eye and asked the question that only friends really ask. “So, how are you doing?”


It’s awesome. Simple but awesome. 

Think about the normal greetings one hears nowadays: “Hey, what’s up?” “Hi, how are you?” “Nice to see you. What’s new?” Nothing wrong with that. Actually, I would probably even recommend that. It’s cordiality. It’s polite to ask someone how they are doing.

But friends don’t follow what social etiquette dictates. Friends live friendship. And a friend really wants to know how you are doing. You are important to him and he is willing to take the time for you to tell him.

I had a similar experience in the car two days ago, again with a good friend – what can I say, it only happens with good friends :) . We talked and talked about many things that interest us both, but it was obvious that sooner or later the question which really interests us would have to come. When he asked me: “And how are you?” I couldn’t help but be slightly moved and even though I didn’t really feel speaking about it, I told him. His friendship had earned it.

I do that often now. I wait to ask my friends how they’re doing until we’ve already shot the breeze. I want them to know that the question is really important. I want them to know that they are really important. I want them to know that I am a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment