(Gospel) Like a kid buying diamonds, they had no idea.
Let's look on the bright side of this Bible story. "You do not know what you are asking."
Imagine a young boy walking into a jeweler's shop, pointing at a freshly cut diamond ring, and pulling his wallet out of his pocket.
"Mister, I'm gunna buy that ring for my mother."
"Kid, are you willing to pay the price?"
"Oh yes - I'll give you EVERYTHING I've earned during the last year," pulling out a wad of tens and twenties.
"Okay, that's cute - but get real here son, that's a genuine diamond."
It wasn't like James and John weren't ready to try and give everything. It was just that they hadn't the slightest idea how awesome heaven is.
And sometimes I think we focus too much on the "offering up" part of Lent, and forget about WHY we offer things up in the first place.
And it's not too late, to add to your Lenten resolutions, a few minutes daily, to think about heaven.

No comments:
Post a Comment